Recovering from EM Mode – Buffalo LinkStation Live HS-DHGL NAS
I recently came across a problem with a Buffalo LinkStation Live.
When I plugged the NAS into my computer, and ran the Buffalo NAS Navigator, it reported that the drive was in ‘EM Mode’. After several hours of fiddling around, I eventually managed to get it up and running again.
The only way to do this is to either upgrade or flash the firmware. Don’t worry, the process is safe and shouldn’t damage any of your data.
Here’s how I did it (you must have a Windows PC to hand to perform the operation):
- Make sure that there are no other devices on your network which may interfere with the LinkStation, such as a firewall, or another NAS Drive.
- Directly connect the drive to an ethernet port on the network.
- This step is crucial for the operation to succeed. Open up Buffalo NAS Navigator, and click ‘Refresh’. Once the EM drive appears, right click it, select Properties and change it to an IP Address which is not currently being used. It may ask for a password, leave the box blank, and press enter. If leaving the box blank does not work, you will need to enter your current password for the drive.
- Once the drive is on a Static IP address, you will need to download the latest firmware for the product from Buffalo-Technology.com.
- After this has been downloaded, open up ‘LSUpdater.exe’. Select your NAS from the list and start the process.. The process takes approximately 10-15 minutes. DO NOT unplug the drive until the upgrade has completed. If the upgrade failed, try running again. It took me two attempts to get it working on one occasion.
Hope this helps.
Please note: I accept NO responsibility for any lost data, since it is your own choice if you decide to take the steps above. I am simply providing them as a reference/help to anyone who has the same problem.